Alcohol abuse committee created

Joelle Coons

A new program, titled “University Substance Abuse Issues Committee,” has been created to help tackle the issues surrounding alcohol abuse at Iowa State.

Linda Ciccone, program coordinator for Student Affairs, said alcohol abuse among college students is a concern.

“That is why there is expansion of the Student Substance Abuse Program,” she said.

The purpose of the new program is to get many points of view about alcohol abuse from students, faculty and the community, said Dean of Students Kathleen MacKay.

“The 10 subcommittees will be able to give a broad representation of people around the Ames area,” she said.

Ciccone said the new program is designed to benefit ISU and the Ames communities’ needs by “using the committee students’ ideas on the subject.”

The difference between the former program and the new program is that “it is a universitywide program, and it has a broader focus” she said.

“The new program and the old program aren’t much different; the new program is just an expansion of the old program,” Ciccone said.

The program will have 10 subcommittees that include student representatives. A total of 90 students are needed for the positions.

Ciccone said student participation is crucial to help the program achieve its goals.

“The input from the students will better help the program to understand what it is that students want and what students need,” she said.

Students who are interested in serving on one of the committees can pick up nomination forms in Room B6 of the Memorial Union or at the Student Answer Center, located in Beardshear Hall.

Ames residents also can nominate themselves or others for the committees.