Greeks prepare to kick some asphalt

Marjorie Sandner

Alpha Kappa Lambda fraternity and Kappa Alpha Theta sorority are sponsoring the first “Kickin’ Asphalt ’99” street hockey tournament Saturday.

The tournament will begin at 10 a.m. at the Towers Residence Association tennis courts, and it is open to all Iowa State students.

Megan Thomson, philanthropy chairwoman of Kappa Alpha Theta, 2239 Knapp Ave., said the organizers are excited about the event.

“We hope to have a lot of participation from the Iowa State community,” said Thomson, sophomore in finance.

Scott Berscheid, philanthropy chairman of Alpha Kappa Lambda, 2635 Knapp St., said players are encouraged to sign up in teams of six to 10 and will need to provide their own equipment and uniforms.

Teams may be all-male, all-female or co-ed, said Berscheid, sophomore in pre-business.

“We want as many people as possible [to participate],” said Sarah Fitzpatrick, vice president of public relations for Kappa Alpha Theta.

Berscheid said he is anticipating a total of 15-20 teams to be ready to compete on Saturday.

First- and second-place teams will receive trophies, and the first-place team also will receive T-shirts and a party sub donated by Subway, he said.

Hot 105 KCCQ, Subway, Hy-Vee Food Store and the Trophy Shop also are sponsoring the event.

All proceeds from the tournament will go to the Story County American Red Cross.

The sponsors of the tournament “are so excited about it that we’ll more than likely still hold it even if it rains,” said Fitzpatrick, sophomore in English.

Students who may not want to participate in the games still are invited to come and watch, Berscheid said.

“We’re hoping for a big crowd of spectators,” he said.

The registration fee is $40 per team in advance and $50 per team on Saturday.

Checks can be made payable to Kappa Alpha Theta sorority.

To register, contact Berscheid at 292-2161, ext. 117.