India Nite to feature dance and dining

Timse Patel

This Saturday, the Indian Students Association will be presenting “India Nite,” a program of events portraying Indian culture.

The event will take place in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

Junaid Babar, vice president of ISA, said the main purpose of the program is to expose the university to Indian culture.

“We are trying to show India’s culture and diversity and to tell everyone that this is what India is about,” he said.

India Nite will consist of a variety of student performances, beginning with a cultural fiesta, in which four main performances will be presented.

The first performance will be a traditional Gujarati dance combining dance steps usually performed during the religious festival Navratri.

Children of the Ames community aged 10 to 15 will be acting out a drama about Vikram Ditya, an Indian King.

Rajeev Rajaram, graduate student in electrical and computer engineering, will be playing the flute.

And the last part of the program is a dance performance to the Hindi song “chaiya chaiya.”

Nerinder Singh, senior in electrical engineering, who is participating in one of the cultural events, said he believes that anyone could benefit from attending India Nite.

“It showers them with an exquisite Indian culture,” Singh said.

Admission to the program is free, but dinner tickets cost $5 for ISA members and $8 for non-members.

The fiesta will begin at 6 p.m. and will last until 7:30 p.m. Dinner will be served from 7:30 to 8:45 p.m.

The menu consists of pav bhaji, light roasted deli buns with curry, pulao, which is rice, raita, cucumber and tomato salad in yogurt, payasam, vermicelli noodles and dried fruits in sweetened milk.

The event is being funded by the Government of the Student Body.