‘Yes’ on expansion

Amy Kearns

After reading Jayadev Athreya’s column “Vote ‘No’ on Hilton Expansion Measure,” I felt obliged to set him straight and inform the rest of Iowa State about the importance of this proposal.

Voting “no” is the worst thing students could do. I am afraid Mr. Athreya may have been confused about the significance of passing this measure.

Vote “yes” for Hilton expansion. According to Mr. Athreya, the expansion and renovation of Hilton is “unnecessary, excessive, and unfair.” I think driving to Iowa City, Kansas City or Chicago to see a concert that could have been held here is excessive, unnecessary and unfair. I am sure local businesses would agree that it is unfair to miss out on concert opportunities.

It has been 30 years since Hilton was built, and it is time to improve one of the greatest facilities in the nation. Basketball teams from around the country are still intimidated by the legendary “Hilton Magic.” Mr. Athreya feels that adding seats to Hilton will not benefit the student body. How could it hurt?

More seats mean the possibility of more students sitting in the arena circle and the parquet. It means more students will have the opportunity to attend games when they sell out as Coach Eustachy and Coach Fennelly continue to build up the basketball teams. To me, Mr. Athreya, you have little faith in our coaches and our teams.

I have been the ISU mascot for three years. I have never heard Hilton portrayed as podunk because there wasn’t a sellout crowd. Adding seats will not hurt Hilton’s image on television, but add to the intimidation of other teams. Adding seats means allowing more people to experience the magic, the mascot and the moment. We already have the best fans in the nation. Why not try and gain more? Besides, it is not how many people are in the arena, but how loud and supportive the people are that are sitting in those chairs. Adding seats means adding possibilities.

Neither students nor residents will have to pay for these benefits. Funding for this project is coming from increasing the hotel/motel tax in Ames from 5 to 7 percent. This means that for a $50 room in Ames, visitors will have to pay an extra $1.00 per night. I doubt this will scare anyone away from Ames.

Vote “yes” for hotel/motel tax. So Mr. Athreya, unless you are spending evenings in a local hotel, you have nothing to lose. Take a chance at more concerts, better seats, more intimidation, more excitement — especially since you aren’t going to pay for it.

Vote “YES” on April 27.

Amy Kearns

Senior

Journalism and mass communication