Senior Week kicks off graduation countdown

Kara Peterson

With only three weeks of school left, some Iowa State seniors already are counting the days until graduation.

To help seniors enjoy their final weeks at ISU, the Senior Class Council, sponsored by the Student Alumni Association, is hosting Senior Week. The week-long celebration, which runs until Saturday, kicked off Monday with a College of Liberal Arts and Sciences luncheon.

Dave Critchlow, adviser to the Student Alumni Association, said Senior Week is open to all students, even if they are not graduating in May.

“We design it for those graduating, but we want to recognize all of them for their accomplishments,” he said. “There will be more activities in December for seniors who will graduate then.”

Jennifer Smith, president of Senior Class Council, said the week will be filled with nostalgia.

“Senior Week is designed for us to celebrate our times here at Iowa State while looking back on the countless memories that we have shared,” said Smith, senior in agricultural business.

Senior Week is not the only event that the council sponsors. Council members also are involved with activities such as the Veishea Road Race, Dean for a Day, International Graduate Reception and the Commencement Lunch.

The council also is in charge of fund raising for the Class of 1999 gift, which is the Lake LaVerne beautification project.

• On Tuesday, the College of Family and Consumer Sciences is hosting “Pizza and Prizes” from 11:45 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. in LeBaron Lounge. The College of Engineering is having a “BBQ Lunch and Faculty Dunk” from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Marston Courtyard.
  • On Wednesday, the College of Education events include “Subs & Survival Kits” from 10:30 a.m. to noon in Lagomarcino E116. The College of Agriculture will be holding “Kiss-A-Pig” at 12:30 p.m. at the Kildee Pavilion.
  • On Thursday, the College of Design is having a “Submit an Artwork” event from 10:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the Design Center Atrium. The College of Business will have a “Business Break” from 2 to 4 p.m. in 138 Carver Hall. Also, there is “Last Chance Campaniling,” featuring local band The Nadas, starting at 9 p.m. in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.
  • On Friday, there is an “All College Olympics,” starting at noon. It will be held on central campus.

The George Strait Country Music Festival will be the finale of the week. The concert will be held Saturday at Jack Trice Stadium, starting at 1 p.m.