Flashes of purple Take Back Night

Rebecca Hiler

Iowa State students and Ames residents are getting ready to “Take Back the Night” in the annual rally and march on central campus.

More than 200 participants are expected to gather on the front steps of Curtiss Hall tonight to protest violence and sexual assault against women.

The Take Back the Night Rally is a grass-roots effort coordinated by the Committee Against Violence. Co-chairs Jehan Faisal and Stephanie Heying said this year’s theme is “Put the Light Back in the Night.”

Faisal, senior in English, said the effects of violence against women is severely damaging to society.

“We live in a rape culture, and that affects everyone,” she said. “Everyone has a personal stake in this if they have a mom, a sister, a best friend or a girlfriend.”

Hope Borchardt, sexual assault services coordinator for Assault Care Center Extending Shelter and Support and member of the Committee Against Violence, said she hopes that knowledge of sexual assault is not relegated to a single night.

“Sexual assault is happening 365 days a year,” said Borchardt, sophomore in child and family services.

Borchardt said she hopes people who attend the rally learn that “sexual assault is not OK and that some myths and stereotypes about sexual assault will be dispelled.”

Oak-Elm Hall Director Kim Araya’s residents will be leading the march this year. Araya said that by leading the march, her residents are promoting the health and well-being of women.

Araya said sexual assault and violence at ISU is a reality.

“It’s our responsibility to take a stand and let the Ames community and students know that we’re not going to be violated,” she said.

A purple ribbon campaign has been implemented to raise awareness for the event. The ribbons will be distributed in the Memorial Union and at the rally.

A card is attached to each ribbon to honor survivors and educate people about sexual assault.

In addition to the ribbons, buttons and T-shirts will be available the night of the event.

Heying said she is optimistic about the impact of the event.

“If it touches anyone in the audience … then it’s worth it,” she said.

The rally will begin at 7:15 p.m. in front of Curtiss Hall and will be followed by a candlelight march through campus and the greek system. The evening will be culminated by a reception at the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center.

The event is sponsored by ACCESS, the Women’s Center, the Ames/ISU YWCA, the Inter-Residence Hall Association and the Carrie Chapman Catt Center for Women and Politics.

Other sponsors include Iowa Coalition for Sexual Assault, the psychology, women’s studies, religious studies and sociology departments, the Committee on Lectures and ISU sororities and fraternities.

In case of inclement weather, the rally will be held in Room 127 of Curtiss Hall.