Athletes honored for accomplishments

Amy Runkel

Athletes’ duties extend beyond the playing field, and the Athletic Department at Iowa State is not letting the feats of student athletes slip by.

Today marks the 12th Annual National Student Athlete Recognition Day, which was created to recognize athletes for their contributions to their schools and communities.

“[National Student Athlete Recognition Day] acknowledges what they do athletically, what they do academically and what they do in terms of community service,” said Steve McDonnell, director of student athletic services at ISU.

Prentice Gautt, associate commissioner of the Big 12 Conference, said two athletes from each school in the conference were identified for their outstanding community service this year.

Trina Radske, a member of the women’s outdoor track team and senior in exercise and sport science, and Jamie Beyer, a member of the men’s outdoor track team and senior in construction engineering, are this year’s honorees, McDonnell said.

Last year, Radske helped develop a program called “Day with the Athletes” with the Boys & Girls Club of Ames, 210 S. Fifth St.

“We work with the kids showing them good sportsmanship and positive role models,” Radske said.

She said the program continued this year and is held once each semester.

She also volunteered with the Story County Christmas Closet and is participating in a car wash to benefit the Special Olympics Iowa.

The car wash will be held this Sunday at Okoboji Grill, 2719 Grand Ave. from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Beyer helped recruit student athletes to participate in the annual Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Walk-a-thon, which will take place on May 1.

“I do what I can. I still don’t feel like I’ve done enough,” Beyer said. “I’m really happy to be recognized for something outside of athletics.”

A brief reception for student athletes will be held prior to the Student Athlete Advisory Council meeting on Wednesday night at 7 in Beyer Hall.

National Student Athlete Recognition Day is sponsored by the National Consortium for Academics and Sports, Northeastern University Center for Study of Sport in Society, NCAA and National Federation of State High School Association.

A more extensive academic recognition ceremony for ISU athletes will be held April 26. More than one-third of the university’s 480 athletes will be recognized for academic achievements at that time, McDonnell said.