Skating Club will take rink by ‘storm’

Emily Graham

The Ames/ISU Ice Arena has been a little less busy since the hockey season ended, but this weekend, the arena once again will be packed, only this time with figure skating fans.

The Ames Figure Skating Club will be holding its sixth annual ice show, titled “Ice Storm,” Saturday at 7 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. Tickets are $6 in advance and $7 at the door.

“For those who are used to seeing the rink for hockey games, this will be a big transformation,” said Lindy Legg, president of the Ames Figure Skating Club. “The show is very entertaining, with all kinds of props on the rink and different lighting for each performance.”

The show will feature 52 skaters ranging in age from preschoolers to senior citizens, Legg said. The skaters will be performing to songs with a weather-related theme, such as “Walking on Sunshine” and “Baby, It’s Cold Outside.”

Legg said there also will be a “Theater on Ice,” where many performers will take part in a number from “The Wizard of Oz.”

Line Nilsen, senior in industrial engineering, and Laura Jackman, sophomore in speech communications, are the only ISU students performing in “Ice Storm.” Nilsen said she also helped choreograph many of the numbers.

A transfer student from Norway, Nilsen has been skating since she was young, and when she came to the United States, she wanted to stay involved in the sport, she said.

Although Nilsen doesn’t skate as much as she used to, she said she still is involved by choreographing and coaching.

“You have to be 16 to win a championship anymore, so I thought I would step back and start coaching instead,” she said.

Jackman, a native of Ames, said she will be performing to the songs “Button up Your Overcoat” and “Frosty the Snowman.”

“I don’t think I would have gotten involved in skating in college if I hadn’t stayed [in Ames], but I continued in college because I was already part of the club,” she said.

It is hard to balance skating and school, Jackman said, but it all comes down to priorities.

“I put school before skating and skating before work,” she said.

In addition to local performers, national competitor Danny Clausen will be performing for the third time in Ames.

“Clausen attends college in [St. Paul, Minn.] and is a very great skater,” Legg said.

Those looking for a more competitive level of skating will enjoy watching Clausen perform his back flips and triple jumps, Nilsen said.

She encouraged students to see the show.

“It isn’t like an average football game. It is more like art,” Nilsen said. “For those who think that skating is just classical music, they will see a lot more here.”