Carilloneurs plan Veishea performance

Olivia Ogren

Students will be ringing the bells of the Campanile during the Veishea carillon concert as part of their music classes.

Music 126, an introductory carillon class, is being offered for the second year in a row, and the students in this and other carillon classes will be performing a special Veishea concert.

Tin-Shi Tam, assistant professor of music and university carilloneur, said all her carillon students, ranging from beginners to advanced, will be playing in the Veishea concert.

Tam currently teaches four carillon classes at Iowa State.

However, renovations on the Campanile and the carillon’s playing cabin have had an impact on the students’ practice sessions.

Scott Bents, one of Tam’s Music 118 students, said the construction on the Campanile is an inconvenience to him and the other students.

“It’s going to be tricky getting ready for Veishea,” said Bent, senior in mechanical engineering.

Although Tam’s students are able to use a practice console, which resembles the Campanile’s instrument, Tam said the students are missing out on the opportunity to practice in the Campanile itself.

Amy Sponheim, another of Tam’s students, agreed that the construction has made preparation for the concert difficult.

“It’s a lot different to play the practice carillon,” said Sponheim, junior in agricultural business.

She said the bell tower is quite different and surprisingly quiet. The students actually open a small door in the tower to hear themselves play.

It may be the second year for the Music 126 course, but not many students are aware of it and Tam’s other carillon classes.

Sponheim said she decided to take the class after discovering it in the course catalog.

Bent said he originally became interested in learning to play the Campanile’s carillon after the Campanile’s grand reopening in 1994.

Besides the Veishea concert, Tam said the students will be selling Campanile-shaped cookies and staffing an information booth during Veishea.

One of Tam’s students will be dressed as the Campanile, and tours of the playing cabin also will be given before the concert.