Veishea terms

Next week, “student-run” Veishea activities begin in earnest, and all of the “debate,” “protest” and “concern” will resolve itself once again.

In spite of a “riot” which some “claimed” was Veishea-related, no plans have been made yet to curtail Veishea activities this year or in the future. We hope that remains to be the case.

Last year’s “student-run” Veishea was considered by some to be a “success” because there was no perceptible “violence.”

It was considered to be a “failure” by others because there was no perceptible “fun.”

Others felt “oppressed” because there was no perceptible “lack” of law enforcement available on every corner.

Some students felt it “appropriate” to reduce arguments about “student rights,” “student control” and “fun” down to the issue of alcohol consumption, while some students felt it “appropriate” to reduce Veishea to a “drinking holiday.”

Some feel that the “ultimatum” handed down by the “administration” that Veishea be “dry” or “gone” was somewhat “dictatorial,” while others offered the argument that it might very possibly be “unconstitutional” since adults in the “United States” cannot actually have their “rights” taken away “arbitrarily” because they attend “the best land grant university in the United States.”

Many “students” took the time on “Wednesday” to “protest” what has been dubbed by some as “Dry Veishea.”

Approximately 792 “students” signed the petition, although the Des Moines Register might estimate the number to be much lower if they had no reporters on-hand to count.

One thing is clear, and that is the fact that Veishea has lost some charm. A “celebration” rarely takes place under such close scrutiny.

Students need to take control of Veishea on both sides of the issue. The violence of the past cannot continue, and the chokehold on this festival cannot continue either.

Something will eventually give. The unruly mob which disturbed the peace and destroyed property could be referred to as a gaggle of geese and it wouldn’t change the fact that it is a symptom of greater problem.

So let’s not bicker and argue about terms and numbers because it is beneath us all. If 792 people call what they do a protest, it is a protest. If 50 or 1500 people call what they did a riot, then it’s a riot. And if 26,000 people can’t agree that Veishea is worth it, then something needs to be done to fix it. You can’t define problems out of existence.