Violence is bad but so is denying civil liberties

Becky Mack

The recent protest to the management of Veishea has been met with varying degrees of support, apathy and opposition.

The opposition seems to be claiming that the supporters only want their liquor back, and that claiming Veishea isn’t student-run anymore is just plain ridiculous in light of the fact that there are over 500 students on the Veishea committee and thousands more on campus involved in readying booths, demonstrations and activities.

The supporters seem to be sending a very mixed message by claiming the protest concerns student control but using alcohol as an attention-getting device.

Although it’s not their point, “beer” might seem to be their call-to-arms.

Of course, the apathetic just plan to go to Iowa City and forget about the whole thing.

Perhaps we need to be more precise about what is actually troubling the students concerned with the roles of students and administration in the Veishea celebration.

It cannot be the level of student involvement.

Students initiate the process, plan the demonstrations, build the displays, erect the booths, devise, participate in and oversee the activities.

Without the preponderance of student effort, Veishea would be nothing more than a bunch of empty spaces marked out around campus grounds.

Certainly, the protesters do not believe the students have been forced outside the planning and execution.

To believe such a thing is not only absurd but belittling to the diligent students whose great ideas and hard work bring this celebration to fruition.

Likewise, it cannot be the involvement of the administration. It is only by cooperating with the secretaries and administrators that such an immense event could be reasonably planned.

The people involved in making and manning displays and activities rely on the administration to coordinate its effort with that of other departments and colleges.

Without the assistance of the administration, this large-scale, weekend-long event would be a mess.

Then, what do the protesters mean by student-control? I would assume that they are referring to the ultimatum issued by the administration last year.

I would assume that they are disturbed by the fact that every 21-year-old was forced to choose between a civil liberty and a beloved festival.

I would assume that the protesters think it is incredibly disturbing that the administration would feel that it is in a position to force the relinquishment of a legal right by holding for ransom a “student-run” activity.

We all realize that without the assistance and support of the administration, students could not hold this event.

That the administration should even suggest withholding its assistance and support of Veishea in order to rob us of a civil liberty is disturbing indeed.

I do not drink. I do not condone excess drinking. I do not condone rioting.

I do believe that the administration offered that ultimatum in good faith that it was the best solution to our obvious problem.

However, to allow that to stand as a precedent is abominable.

Let’s pledge not to break the law during Veishea. Let’s pledge not to riot, be intoxicated in public, rape or kill during Veishea.

Our problem is not that students drink. It is that students engage in a plethora of illegal activities that cause problems for ourselves and our community.

Had the administration asked us to pledge not to engage in any illegal activities whatsoever during Veishea or be subject to greater penalty, this may have been more acceptable.

Ask us to be accountable. Ask us to be responsible. Do not tell us to be abstainers.

I protest on the grounds that my civil liberties are not for sale under any conditions. I protest on the grounds that I pay the administration to support and assist me in my quest for higher education, not to dictate my morality to me and threaten me with the denial of my own activities.

I protest because I will not allow the administration to believe that it is OK for them to take a dictatorial position with me.

I protest because they need to find a more effective, more efficient way to communicate with us than through ultimatums.

And unless you like being ordered by those you pay to assist you, I hope you do, too.

Becky Mack

Graduate student

Forestry and soil science