Regents pass room and board increase

Michael O'Neill

It’s official — the room and board rate for the 1999-2000 school year will increase by 6.3 percent.

The Iowa State Board of Regents voted unanimously Wednesday at its meeting in Vinton to increase the rates at all three regents universities.

“This will provide increased revenue for the residence systems which are in need of repairs,” said Frank Stork, executive director of the Board of Regents.

ISU President Martin Jischke said there are “actually three reasons” for the rate increase.

“First of all, there are some unavoidable inflation increases, such as water and electric,” he said. “Then there is the costs of the Master Plan, and the additional services students have requested.”

Director of Residence Randy Alexander said in Wednesday’s Daily that 5 percent of the increase will cover inflationary costs, 1 percent will go toward the Master Plan, and the remaining funds are for services ISU residents have requested.

The additional services he referred to are the cable rates, which will be added into the base rate, and an optional $15 fee to stay in the residence halls during Thanksgiving and spring breaks.

ISU residents, however, seem to have mixed views on the vote.

Inter-Residence Hall Association President Ben Chamberlain agreed that some of the halls are in need of repairs.

“In years past, when something needed to be fixed, we didn’t have the money to fix it,” said Chamberlain, senior in agricultural studies. “Now we can fix the leaky shower heads and torn carpeting.”

However, some students think the increase sounds a little steep.

“It seems like a substantial increase, but I guess it depends on the results,” said Alicia Rains, freshman in biology and Friley Hall resident. “If it benefits students, then it’s not something I would actively speak out against.”

Joe Fitzpatrick, sophomore in architecture and Helser Hall resident, agreed with Rains.

“It’s a bit much, but if it is for students then I guess it’s OK,” he said. “I guess they should have increased the rates gradually over a long period of time.”

But Chamberlain said this increase was “laid out a long time ago.”

“It really wasn’t a surprise because this goes along with the Master Plan,” he said. “Compared to other schools, this increase will be much lower in price.”

The rate increase goes into effect May 9.