Students experience a day in a dean’s life

Susan Mcdonald

As part of the Senior Week celebration, select Iowa State students will discover what it’s like to be “Dean for a Day.”

Deans and students will trade places April 19 and 20.

Dave Critchlow, program assistant for the Student Alumni Association, said the “Dean for a Day” program has “been going on for several years.”

Generally, graduating seniors participate in the program.

The program “has always been a tradition,” said Jennifer Smith, president of Senior Class Council (SCC), one of the program’s sponsors.

Smith, senior in agricultural business, said the event gives students a chance to experience what a dean does. In turn, it also gives the deans a chance to experience what students go through, she said.

A student who’s participating may attend meetings for the dean, Critchlow said. The dean also may attend the student’s class and take notes.

Many of the deans are “very receptive to the program,” he said.

More than 200 students were interested in the program this year, Critchlow said.

Emily Reel, College of Agriculture representative for SCC, said students nominate themselves to participate in the program. Ballot boxes were placed in the “more-traveled buildings,” she said.

Reel, senior in agricultural business, said students are selected by a random drawing.

SCC drew names on March 30 for each college that is participating.

Once the names are drawn, SCC representatives contact the students who were selected, Reel said. Deans from the participating colleges then are contacted with the participating student’s name, she said.

“It’s really hard to get everyone coordinated,” she said.

The Colleges of Business and Design will not be able to participate this year because of conflicting schedules, she said.

Smith said most deans and students are “very positive about the program.”

“I hope it grows in the future,” she said.