IRHA protests security cuts

Kristin Kolsrud

In response to next year’s cut of the Student Security Program, the Inter-Residence Hall Association passed the “Securing the Residence Halls” resolution at its meeting Thursday night.

The Department of Residence’s proposal will cut the program’s weekly cost for standard shifts from about $1,800 to $1,100 by reducing the number of hours student security officers patrol the halls.

“The overall consensus is that we don’t necessarily agree with the changes; however, we realize they are going to happen,” said IRHA President Ben Chamberlain.

Chamberlain, senior in agricultural studies, said IRHA members had several problems with the cut.

“I think a main concern with the issue is that there will be essentially no security present in the halls during the 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. time slot,” said Chamberlain, senior in agricultural studies.

Other IRHA members agreed that the program should not be altered.

“My residents want student security how it is now,” said Kyle Jacobsen, Storms Hall representative and sophomore in horticulture. “I think we should take a stance on this issue for our residents. They deserve a suitable environment for living and learning.”

The Department of Residence has set up a task force to assist with decisions regarding student security, which also was addressed in the resolution. Chamberlain said IRHA members want to ensure that the department considers the input of the task force members.

The members, who are not appointed yet, will include Iowa State administrators, hall directors, resident assistants, student security officers and residents.

“If the task force makes recommendations, we just want to make sure those recommendations are taken to heart,” Chamberlain said.

IRHA also heard the first reading of its recently updated bylaws, as well as the second reading of its revised constitution.

Scott Meyers, president of the Union Drive Association, said the constitution and bylaws define how IRHA is set up.

“The internal affairs committee has spent many hours on this project,” said Meyers, senior in computer engineering.

The internal affairs committee consists of the three residence hall association presidents, an additional member from each association and IRHA Vice President David Sims. After the constitution and bylaws are passed by IRHA, the constitution will have to pass in each residence association’s senate or assembly.

Also during meeting, Dean of Students Kathleen MacKay spoke about what administrators expect from ISU students during Veishea and distributed packets of information on interim alcohol rules and the student conduct code for Veishea ’99.

“It’s one thing if you know the rules and break them; it’s another thing if you don’t know the rules,” MacKay said.

She said all rules, laws and city ordinances are the same as last year and will be enforced starting at noon on Friday until 5 p.m. on Sunday.