ISU will show off shrubs this summer

Amber Ehlers

Iowa State’s shrubs, roses and outdoor artwork will be an attraction this summer as the university hosts representatives from Big 10 and Big 12 schools.

The annual Midwest Landscape Architecture and Grounds Management Conference will be held June 15-18.

It will be the first time in 15 years that ISU has hosted the event.

Barb Steiner, plant supervisor for Campus Services, said department officials are working hard to get ISU ready for the conference.

“We are trying to get the campus whipped into shape,” she said. “We’re remulching and putting out new plantings.”

Steiner said the event will focus on landscape architecture and grounds management for public spaces, such as universities. It also will feature tours of Reiman Gardens, outdoor art at ISU and various other landscaping features on and off campus.

“We plan to show them things that are unique to Iowa State and Iowa in general, like the outdoor art,” she said. “Not all states require art in public spaces, but we are lucky to have what we have.”

The tours will show conference participants many highlights of the campus, including the LeBaron Courtyard and the new George Washington Carver statue, Steiner said.

It also will feature a seminar from Reiman Gardens Superintendent Nick Howell. He said he plans to give a presentation on the maintenance techniques used at the gardens.

Steiner added that Reiman Gardens will be of special interest for two reasons.

“First, when we hosted the conference 15 years ago, Reiman Gardens wasn’t here. Second, not many other universities have something like Reiman Gardens,” she said.

Howell said participants of the conference will be treated no differently than the average tourist.

“We work to keep the place looking as good as it can at all times,” he said. “We roll out the red carpet for everyone, and this group will be no different.”

Reiman Gardens has several new projects in the works for the summer season, including the Children’s Garden and the Town and Country Garden, which will showcase ideas for homeowners.

Steiner said she expects the conference to draw about 60 people.