Indian dancers to visit Ames

Timse Patel

The sound of anklets ringing, the beat of the drum and the tune of the sitar are all part of the wonderful world of Indian classic dancing.

Beautifully dressed girls in colorful costumes and traditional make-up and jewelry all add to the grace and style of Indian dancing.

Traditional Indian dancing is as old as time itself. A major part of Indian culture, it not only entertains but also represents religious events.

Many of the traditional Indian dances act out stories of the gods, such as Lord Krishna.

Learning such dances requires years of training under specific gurus.

Sukalyan Bhattacharya, from Calcutta, India, and Niharika Mohanty, from Odissi, India, are examples of Indian dancers.

Bhattacharya, who started dancing at a young age, received his training from various gurus.

His love for dancing has rewarded him with scholarships and a Stirling award.

Throughout his life, he has performed at many festivals within India and abroad. His style is Manipuri, which originated in the eastern part of the Himalayas.

The Manipuri style, which consists of many different techniques, rhythms and tempos, involves soft feminine moves as well as masculine moves.

Mohanty, like Bhattacharya, has received grants for her work. She has also been given the Chalmers award.

Mohanty was trained by the world-renowned guru of a dance style called Odissi. This dance originated in the East Indian state of Orissa.

Consisting of lyrical charm, grace, sculpturesque poses and haunting music, Odissi is a dance that spiritually captivates its audience.

Ames residents will have the opportunity to watch these two dancers when the India Cultural Association of Central Iowa brings an Indian dance group called Parichay (Introduction) to Ames Saturday night.

The group will perform a combination of the Manipari and Odissi dance styles.

Throughout the dance, Lord Krishna and Radha will take the audience through the twists and turns of their love story.

Horabail Venkatagiri, editor of ICA newsletters, said, “We are the organizers and the sponsors of the group. We are paying for travel expense as well as providing accommodation for the group.”

“We are hoping about a 150 to 200 people will come, from Ames, Des Moines and Marshalltown,” Venkatagiri said.

ISU students are especially encouraged to attend the event.

“We have kept tickets so low for the students, only $6 compared to $10,” Venkatagiri said.

This particular show is not a charitable event. However, the ICA does organize many charitable events to fund a scholarship program for Ames High School students.

Krishna Athreya, professor of mathematics, saw Parichay perform in Hamilton, Canada, as part of the entertainment for a conference.

“I liked them immensely,” Athreya said. “I took down their information.”

After he saw the performance, Athreya recommended the group to ICA.

Junaid Babar, vice president of the Indian Student Association said, “Most of the Indian students who come here are not exposed to much classical arts.”

However, Babar believes that when Indian students come to the United States, they realize what they missed in India.

“Being with friends, going to a classical events here should be a comfortable experience,” Babar said.

Taru Sharma, a member of ISA, said, “I really do believe this is a good opportunity for the students to get involved in classical arts. It will be fun to watch too.”

Parichay will be held Saturday at 7:30 p.m. at Ames High School Auditorium.