Gymnasts split meets

Justin South

Coming on the heels of an impressive home win over the nationally- ranked Minnesota Golden Gophers, the Iowa State gymnastics team split a pair of road meets over the spring break.

The 20th-ranked Cyclones lost for the second time this season to the eighth-ranked Nebraska Cornhuskers on March 20, 195.200 to 194.850. On January 15, Nebraska defeated the Cyclones in Ames, 193.725 to 192.575.

Head coach Amy Pyle said that the team was winning going into the last event. Then things began to unravel.

“We had some wobbles and one fall on beam. We tried some new things on floor, and they have a very springy floor, so our landings on the floor were difficult,” Pyle said. “Still, I thought that we were the best team that night.”

Despite the loss, several Cyclones put in strong performances. Freshman Sissy Huey finished second in the all-around competition with a score of 38.900, while sophomore Jessy Smith finished third in the all-around with a score of 38.950.

Junior Sarah Stayberg placed first on the uneven bars with a score of 9.850. Junior Kelli More tied for first place on the balance beam, carding a score of 9.900.

On March 17, the Cyclones defeated the Iowa Hawkeyes, 195.350 to 45.074. The Hawkeyes competed with just five gymnasts for the event at Carver Hawkeye Arena.

Pyle said she was surprised at how intensely focused her team was for the event despite the obvious difference in talent.

“We knew going in that this meet would be a little easier, but we needed a good road score for NCAA qualifying,” Pyle said. “Other than two falls on beam, I can’t complain.”

Iowa State took the top spots in all events, led by Smith who placed first in the all-around with a score of 39.200 and on the floor exercise with a score of 9.875. Smith also placed third on the vault and tied for second on the balance beam with scores of 9.85 and 9.775, respectively.

Stayberg placed second in the all-around with 39.175, second on the uneven bars with 9.825 and second on the balance beam with 9.800.

Huey scored the second-highest score of her career, placing first on the uneven bars with 9.900. Huey also placed third in the all-around with 39.150 and second on floor exercise with 9.850.

More took top honors on the balance beam with a score of 9.875 and placed third on the floor exercise with 9.825.

Sophomore Lauren Goldberg tied her career high that was set against the Golden Gophers by capturing first on the vault, scoring a 9.90. Sophomore Angie Umbaugh tied with Smith for second on the vault with a score of 9.85. Senior Michelle Hladky placed third on the uneven bars with a score of 9.750.

With the regular season completed, the Big 12 championship is next for the Cyclones. The championship takes place March 27 in Columbia, Missouri.

Going into the championship, freshman Shelly Kringen may be the only Cyclone not competing. Pyle said that Kringen has a bone chip in her ankle and will only compete if she’s ready.

“Shelly may be back on vault, but we’re not counting on it. We don’t want to set her back if she’s not ready,” Pyle said.

Pyle said that this year’s field will be very competitive, and the championship is up for grabs.

“It’s been our goal to win the Big 12 championship for the past four years, and now is when it counts,” Pyle said. “Everyone is very good this year, so it will be competitive. If we hit, we’ll have a great shot at winning it.”