Scholars to tackle evolution

Andy Tofilon

One of the most controversial topics of modern time will debated by two scholars tonight.

The event, which will tackle the issue of evolution versus creationism, is titled “Which Viewpoint Provides a More Scientific Understanding of Nature?”

The event will be held at 8 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. It is free and open to the public.

The debate will have Duane Gish, vice president of the Institute of Creation Research in San Diego, Calif., face off against John Patterson, emeritus professor of materials science and engineering at Iowa State.

Gish has authored the books “The Fossils Still Say No!” and “Teaching Creation Science in Public Schools.”

Patterson is known for his opposition to a vast array of proponents of what he describes as “pseudo-science and counterfeit scholarship,” according to a press release.

Josh Cramer, president of Students for Origins Research, said it should be a lively debate.

“These two have a great rivalry going, and both of them want to have great showings,” said Cramer, senior in engineering operations. “They should get some really good dialogue going.”

The debate has stirred up new ideas of the origin of man and has changed many minds, Cramer said.

Tim Borseth, staff member with Great Commission Ministry, said the history between the two scholars should make for a interesting discussion.

“These two have met each other before 14 years ago, and it was very lively,” Borseth said. “I look for a very passionate, well-articulated and well-reasoned debate.”

Borseth, who graduated from ISU with a degree in geology, said he was deeply affected by the previous debate.

“My first impression was how very impressed I was of Gish’s presentation,” he said. “It is a little extreme to say that I went in as an evolutionist and walked out a creationist, but it did help me change my mind.”

The debate will help people better understand the complicated topic, Cramer said.

“I guess this is a issue that debates your origin and our origin, where did we come from and how we got here,” he said. “Those are some of the questions that are something that everyone should consider.”

The debate is co-sponsored by Students for Origins Research, the Committee on Lectures, the Objectivist Club, Stonebrooks Students, the Salt Company, the religious studies program and the Christian Faculty and Staff Association.