Campustown businesses open downtown

Emily Graham

Three Campustown businesses have opened new shops in downtown Ames.

American Computer, 114 Welch Ave., opened a new location at 118 Kellogg Ave. on March 1.

Mark Lee, store manager of American Computer, said American Computer opened the new location to better serve off-campus customers.

“We wanted to reach the people who don’t walk down Welch Avenue every day,” he said. “We have two stores now for our customers’ convenience.”

Lee said business has grown steadily although it has not matched that of the Campustown location yet.

“This store is more geared toward the Ames community, but both stores are mirror images of each other,” he said.

“What we have at one we will have at the other,” Lee said.

Santa Fe Espresso, 116 Welch Ave., also has opened up a new cafe downtown.

Cafe Santa Fe, 212 Main St., was opened in response to requests from patrons of the Campustown establishment.

“Downtown is a good place to locate because we are still close enough to our Campustown location to run it effectively but also offer the community something different,” said Dwight Rivera, company president.

Both locations specialize in gourmet coffees, smoothies and Peruvian cuisine.

Though Cafe Santa Fe has been open for only a week, Rivera said many people have expressed interest in the type of food offered at the restaurant.

“The only real difference between the two locations is that Cafe Santa Fe has a more fine dining atmosphere,” Rivera said.

“The Main Street location is definitely targeted for the Main Street crowd,” he said. “Once people know where we are and what we are about, it will just be a matter of time.”

The Wireless Store, which used to be located at 2812 West St., closed its West Street location and moved to 110 Main St.

“Our business is very credit based. In [the former location], the majority of the people we were trying to service were college students who couldn’t pass the credit check,” said Tim Malone, president and owner of The Wireless Store.

Malone said although many college students have cell phones, in many cases their parents own the phone.

“Usually, they get them before they come to school and have their parents sign for them. College students just don’t have the funds for cell phones on the whole,” he said.

Since moving to its downtown location, Malone said business has been increasing steadily.

“It was an overnight success story for us,” he said.

Although he would rather be in Campustown, Malone said, the location isn’t feasible for his business.

“I would definitely be having more fun there, but it just isn’t practical for us,” he said.