Project renovations silence Campanile

Sarah Leonard

Though the 23 bells of the Campanile have been ringing every 15 minutes this week, the noon and mid-afternoon concerts have been postponed as the landmark undergoes renovations.

The carillon was closed on Monday and will remain closed until April 15.

“The project includes two parts,” said Tin-Shi Tam, university carilloneur and assistant professor of music. “First, a facelift of the playing cabin, the stairs and fixing the leaks. The second is an installation of an audio and video recording system.”

The first part of the project will be finished in time for Veishea, she said. The carillon then will be closed again from April 19 to June 1 for completion of the project.

The project’s total price tag is $80,000, said university architect Dean Morton.

“The funding comes from an endowment set up by the Iowa State Foundation for maintenance and improvement,” Morton said. “Most of the money is going towards the equipment as the work is being done by the Iowa State Facilities Planning and Management staff.”

The audio system will allow student musicians to record their performances on the carillon.

Tam said the installation of audio and video equipment will benefit both students and the public.

Students will be able to listen to the recorded performances to learn about sound balance and musicality, she said.

The public will be able to view the concert performances from the ground via a video monitor station at the base of the Campanile. Previously, people had to climb up the Campanile to witness concerts.

Using audio and video equipment for teaching is not a new idea, Tam said.

“We occasionally used them for Veishea and the Spring Carillon Festival,” she said. “Having the equipment permanently installed will be easier to handle and more convenient.”

The project is set to be completed in time to celebrate the 100th anniversary of The Bells of Iowa State. As part of the celebration, ISU will host the 57th congress of the Guild of Carilloneurs in North America (GCNA).

Tam said nearly 150 carilloneurs from across the nation and overseas will attend the congress, which takes place June 16-19. The program includes daily carillon recitals, presentations, panel discussions and workshops.