Fashion and food to be featured at Asian culture night

Angela Woon

Students looking for authentic egg rolls, a fashion show and dancing will find them Sunday night at South East Asian Culture Night (SEACN) in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

“One of the purposes of the cultural night is to introduce the South East Asian culture to the community,” said Billy Wong, co-chairman of the SEACN committee. “We also hope to strengthen ties between the participating countries as well as promote diversity at Iowa State.”

Wong, senior in management information systems, said this event marks the first time campus groups from Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippines have worked jointly on a cultural night.

“We have been collaborating and working very hard for the past few months to put this big night together,” he said. “We hope the audience will enjoy and learn something from the event.”

Proceeds from the event also will be put toward two causes.

“We will be donating the money raised to the Story County Habitat for Humanity and the International Student Financial Aid,” said Nina Avrianty, co-chairwoman of the SEACN committee.

Egg rolls, siu mai, tropical fruit drinks, soup and other types of South East Asian food will be served buffet style.

“It will be prepared by students from the participating countries, so people who have not traveled to the South East Asian countries will have a chance to taste authentic cuisine,” Wong said.

The audience will witness cultural displays, a fashion show, dances and singing performances by South East Asian students throughout the night, Wong said.

Avrianty said the event is free to ISU students, but they must get tickets to gain entry. Non-students can purchase tickets for $8. The dress code is casual.

The festivities will begin at 7 p.m.

Tickets can be purchased today at the booth outside the West Student Office Space in the Memorial Union or at the door on Sunday.

The event is funded by the Government of the Student Body and the Multicultural Task Force.