Kliebenstein takes tension in stride in ag economics

Jamie Lange

“You don’t care what I know unless you know that I care.”

This quote is one James Kliebenstein applies when tension rears up in his classes. He realizes the importance of first establishing a good rapport with students.

Kliebenstein, professor of agricultural economics, doesn’t fear tension, but he seeks to eradicate it through humor and laughter used in the right contexts.

“You need to have some lightness in life, need to have some focus in life, need to learn to laugh at your mistakes and you need to know when it’s time for each one,” he said.

Kliebenstein has learned to make time for each context and each of his students.

“If it looks like you’re lost, he’ll stop lecture and fix it so that you are able to understand what is going on,” said Brent Bonner, junior in agricultural business.

Another student said Kliebenstein seeks to get to know each of his students and has a great memory.

“Professor Kliebenstein is one of the most personable professors I know. He never forgets anything you tell him, like about your background,” said Angela Rieken, senior in agricultural business.

Rieken also noted that professor Kliebenstein makes himself accessible to clubs and organizations on campus and keeps up with students’ interests — even those that extend beyond agriculture.

Kliebenstein said understanding the material is one of the first steps on the road to success.

“I try to build things that students will be using later on in their career,” he said. “The class is orientated to problem solving. We look at issues and problems that farm businesses might run into.”

He relies on his students for feedback and has learned to recognize visual cues of whether he’s making sense to them.

“Students let you know in a hurry if you are making any sense or not,” he said. “I am able to tell just by asking them questions or by looking them in the eye.”

He said he tries to bring real world application into the classroom to clarify the material he’s presenting.

“I spend time outside of class to provide a better understanding and possibly a clearer application of what is being talked about,” he said. “Sometimes it’s not the concept that a student is struggling with but rather placing the concept within an application.”

Kliebenstein said he tries to gather information regarding the student’s background so that he can devise an application that he or she is more familiar with.

“I try to build interest and enthusiasm on the part of the student based on how I approach the topic,” Kliebenstein said.

In working with his students, whether it be as a teacher, adviser or researcher, he feels like he is helping forge the future by influencing them.

“Advising and teaching allows me to be constantly in contact with the real doers of the future,” he said. “With research, I can take the results and ideas into the classroom and see what kind of reaction I get. I like to see if I’m making any sense or not.”

James Kliebenstein

Degrees earned:

• bachelor’s degree from the University of Wisconsin-Platteville in 1968.
  • master’s degree in agricultural economics from the University of Illinois in 1970.
  • doctorate degree in agricultural economics from the University of Illinois in 1972.

Came to ISU: 1986

Courses taught at ISU: Economics 330 (Farm Business Management) and Economics 430 (Advanced Farm Management)

Best thing about job: “When working with students, you are working with the leaders of the future. It’s fun, and it keeps you energized. ISU has a large number of really top-notch young people. It’s an opportunity that a lot of people really don’t get.”

Family: Lives in Ames with his wife, Joyce. He has three children: Dan, 27; Shawn, 23; and Heather, 21.