Polar Bear plungers to invade Lake LaVerne

Josh Herrington

Iowa State students and Ames residents who want to submerge themselves in Lake LaVerne will have the chance Saturday at the Second Annual Polar Bear Plunge.

The Polar Bear Plunge is part of Greek Week and is aimed at raising money for Special Olympics Iowa. Chris Ihle, fund-raising coordinator for Special Olympics Iowa, said event organizers’ goal is to raise $20,000 this year.

“With each of the 43 greek houses sending at least seven ‘plungers’ to the event, plus other participants we get from publicity, we hope to have about 400 people in the plunge this year,” Ihle said.

Brian Tenclinger, Greek Affairs coordinator, said he is hoping for a minimum of 100 people to actually get into the lake.

Two of the plungers lined up include Ames Mayor Ted Tedesco and ISU head football coach Dan McCarney.

“It was really easy to get McCarney and Tedesco to join the event,” Ihle said. “They’re familiar with Special Olympics and the impact that it has.”

Tenclinger said there are two reasons for doing the plunge.

“Firstly, the greeks felt it was important to adopt a philanthropy everyone of the ISU community can take advantage of,” he said. “Secondly, everyone knows what Special Olympics is, so it creates a win-win situation.”

Greek Week Co-Chairman Mike Penake said it is important for people to know the plunge is open to all students, not just greeks.

“We’re encouraging everyone to take part,” he said.

Ihle said this event is perfect for students.

“It gives them a chance to be crazy and jump into Lake LaVerne without getting in trouble,” he said.

A $50 entrance fee is required to participate in the Polar Bear Plunge, all of which goes to the Special Olympics. All participants will receive a Polar Bear Plunge sweatshirt and an invitation to a post-event party that will include music from KASI/KCCQ radio and chili.

The event is sponsored by Greek Week; KASI/KCCQ, 415 Main St.; and Mary Greeley Medical Center Paramedics, 111 Duff Ave.

“Special Olympics really appreciates Greek Week for their support because without them, it wouldn’t happen,” Ihle said.

Registration begins at 5:30 p.m. and plunging starts at 6 p.m.

Plunger must wear proper attire, which includes a pair of shoes and a swimsuit. Wetsuits will not be permitted.

Entry forms can be picked up at the Student Activities Center in Room B6 of the Memorial Union or at the KASI/KCCQ station.