Briefs

Daily Staff Writer

English teacher event held today

A symposium of English teachers will be held today in the Memorial Union.

The Committee on Teacher Effectiveness organized the event in hopes that it will generate new ways to help students learn more effectively in the classroom.

Michael Mendelson, committee member, said discussion will be in panel and round-table formats, which should encourage professors to learn more about each others’ teaching techniques.

“Issues that will be discussed include gender in the classroom, technology and different student learning styles,” said Mendelson, associate professor of English.

Mendelson encouraged professors outside the English department to attend the symposium.

“The meeting is designed for English teachers, but all educators can benefit from the experience,” he said.

The symposium resulted from a questionnaire English department teachers filled out last year. It will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Great Hall of the MU. Lunch will be served at noon.

Head Start sign-up begins Monday

Registration for Mid-Iowa Community Action’s Head Start 1999-2000 begins Monday.

Story County families who are not residents of Ames but would like to sign their 3- to 4-year-old children up for the program should call 296-2736 or stop by the Mid-Iowa Community Action’s Head Start office located at 113 Colorado Ave.

Proof of the child’s age, family income for the past 12 months and foster child status (if applicable) are required at the application appointment.