Study abroad program takes off

Gretchen Cleland

Editor’s note: Participation in Iowa State’s study abroad program has blossomed over the past few years. During the next three days, the Daily will feature students’ experiences in the cross-cultural programs.

More Iowa State students this school year decided to venture beyond U.S. borders by taking advantage of ISU’s study abroad program.

The program has experienced almost a 28 percent growth since last school year.

“Last year, we had over 650 students participate in study or work abroad, and this year, we have 830 participants,” said Study Abroad Center program assistant Chris Swanson. “It really has grown by leaps and bounds.”

A number of factors have contributed to the recent growth of the program.

“I think a lot of the growth has been based on word of mouth,” Swanson said. “Students have friends who have studied abroad and hear about their experience and then decided they would like to go as well.”

Faculty members’ interest in leading trips abroad also has helped spur growth of the program.

“Faculty have become interested in our program, and when they decide to lead trips abroad, it benefits us,” Swanson said. “Students who know their professors and like them will often decide to participate in a trip they lead.”

Advertising also has influenced the growth trend, as Study Abroad Center employees have been working harder to disseminate information about its programs.

Studying abroad typically has a positive impact on students as many discover themselves, in addition to new ways of living, Swanson said.

“I think it is a great experience,” he said. “It makes you look at the world in a new light. And you don’t just learn about other cultures, you also learn about yourself.”

Swanson, who taught English in China, said he was amazed at how much he learned about his own culture while in another country.

“People ask you questions about America, and you really have to think about it before you answer; it forces you to really think about your culture,” he said.

Lindsay Tomich, senior in advertising, participated in the study abroad program last spring. Tomich, who studied at the University of Wales in Swansea, decided to go abroad for the experience of living in another country.

“I’ve always been interested in travel, and since you can get student discounts on not only travel but all kinds of things while you’re abroad, I thought this was the best time to go,” Tomich said.

Tomich said she felt the Study Abroad Center effectively prepped her for the shift in environments.

“They have the program pretty well organized,” she said. “You know the amount of tuition you’ll pay and where you’ll live before you get there, and they try to prepare you for how things work over there.”

To help make the transition easier, the center also offers a credited course that deals with issues such as culture shock and reverse culture shock.

For students unable to fit the course into their schedule, the center offers an accelerated version of the course that packs everything into one evening session.

“We also have a seminar called ‘Tips for Travelers,’ which informs students on how to get a passport, how to pack, what to take and other questions they need answers to,” Swanson said.

A concern on many students’ minds when considering making the trip abroad is financing the excursion. Swanson said students have many options to meet the funding requirements.

“We do offer a number of scholarships,” he said. “We have a study abroad scholarship, which students can pick up at our offices.”

Tomich described her experiences studying abroad as “unbelievable.”

“I can’t even explain it to anyone who hasn’t done it; it makes the world seem so small yet so large,” she said.