Magic in cheap seats

Craig Fontenot

Iowa State basketball is in trouble. Someone was complaining about the “loss of the Hilton Magic.” Where is the Hilton Magic?

I can tell you that the Magic has gone way up in the balcony section of Hilton, the stratosphere, the student section.

During the Oklahoma game, I couldn’t help but notice most of the “The Magic” was coming from the balcony. All the action was coming from the student section. It was rowdy way up there, far from the players who desperately needed a fix of Hilton Magic.

All around me sat the non-students, mature adults, and families. They were the passive fans.

There they sat, occasionally clapping. I cheer more watching ESPN from my living room couch.

I was watching a recent, Duke game — completely surrounding the floor danced an all-student sea of blue and white. These kids were going crazy. The Duke players responded, and Duke won. Is there a correlation? You do the math.

Let’s ignore the fact that a frenzy of student support near the floor is a huge home team advantage.

The games are played by students, primarily for students.

The community support is appreciated and needed, but let’s not forget our priorities.

I can’t see the general public complaining that the university lets students sit too close to the floor.

The administration is simply selling out the coaches, the players and the student body. I’m sure they have great reasons. I’m sure all sell-outs do.

Craig Fontenot

Graduate Student

Chemical engineering