Asian American center holds open house

Paul Haverhals

The Asian American Culture Center held its first open house Wednesday to open its doors to all students.

About 20 people attended the event.

The center was founded two years ago by the Asian Pacific American Awareness Coalition (APAAC), Vietnamese Student Association (VSA) and Laos Thaidam Student Association (LTSA).

The center recently was renovated with contributions from students, faculty and Minority Student Affairs.

Frank Bell, student service specialist, believes the center will have a positive impact on ISU.

“This center, if utilized properly, can add to the cultural fabric of the Department of Residence and campus,” he said. “I think it will be successful with just Asian Americans using it, but it will be twice as successful if all students use it.”

Meaghan Kozar, program assistant for Minority Student Affairs and the Asian Cultural Center adviser, said the center gives students a place to meet people from other cultures.

“They have a Black Culture Center and a Latino Culture Center, so there was a definite need for an Asian Culture Center,” she said.

The Asian American Center also provides a space for organizations such as the APAAC to hold meetings and workshops.

One of the main goals of the center is to keep it open to all students during the day, Kozar said.

“Maybe it will make people curious. We have books and displays so students can come in and see what’s going on,” she said. “Everyone is welcome.”

Thang Nguyen, senior in accounting, works at the center and said students enjoy the comfortable atmosphere.

“Usually, students drop in and out to relax for a while,” Nguyen said. “They can do anything from watching TV to even catching a quick nap on the couch.”

Chone Phiathep, freshman in pre-business, enjoys visiting the center.

“It’s a great place to get involved and to see what’s out there for me,” Phiathep said. “I get a lot of advice from upperclassmen, and it gives me a chance to become familiar with other cultures.”

The Asian American Center is located at 1501 Helser Hall and is open Mondays and Wednesdays from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.

For more information, contact 294-5613.