Business Web site opens doors for entrepreneurs

Cara Turner

Anyone interested in becoming an entrepreneur can now turn to the Iowa Business Network Web site for a variety of educational resources, new business ideas and advice on opening private businesses.

Lars Peterson, interim assistant state director of the Small Business Development Center (SBDC), said the Web site offers many resources, such as a news service, an area to ask questions and an area with published research from Iowa State professors and professors from other universities.

The site also features an employer’s handbook, hiring tools and “Issues on the Floor,” which is an area where people can discuss things such as the year 2000 and the effects it may have on businesses.

“This Web site is unique because there is no advertising, and people are being provided with a lot of resources,” Peterson said.

“Students could find this resource useful in the future. This is a practical resource in obtaining basic business information,” he said.

Kevin Brown, communications specialist at ISU News Service, also said students could find this Web site beneficial.

“There is a growing interest in entrepreneurship ideas at Iowa State,” he said.

“This is a starting point to get new information of how to start your own business, develop contacts and network,” Brown said.

Brown said veterinary medicine students may find the site helpful if they start their own practices some day.

The Web site went online May 1, 1998, and it is still developing. It is run by the SBDC, which is an extension of ISU’s College of Business.

“The Web site is designed for small to midsize businesses with less than 500 people,” Peterson said.

He said ISU students have helped in keeping the site up to date from the beginning.

“This is an easy to use, straightforward resource with good information,” Peterson said. “We provide people with up-to-date and the best business information we can.”

The Web site is located at www.iabusnet.org.