Gymnasts fall to Oklahoma

Justin South

Despite capturing two events, including the top three spots on the vault, the 18th ranked Iowa State gymnastics team lost to the Oklahoma Sooners on Friday, 194.275 to 192.300.

Oklahoma junior Ginger Russell, the reigning Big 12 Gymnast of the Week, captured first place honors in the all-around competition with a score of 38.900 and on the floor exercise, scoring a 9.875 en route to a Sooners victory.

For the Cyclones, sophomore Jessy Smith set a career high and a team season high with a first place score on the vault of 9.90.

Also, Smith set a season-high score in tying freshman teammate Shelly Kringen for second place on the floor exercise with a score of 9.850.

Smith also placed third in the overall competition, scoring a 38.500.

Kringen took second in the overall competition with a score of 38.850.

Sophomore Lauren Goldberg set a career high on the vault with a second-place score of 9.80.

Falls on the uneven bars, balance beam and floor exercise curtailed the Cyclones’ opportunities for victory and head coach Amy Pyle said the performance was disappointing.

“They practiced well this week and had a good warm-up. Point-wise, we were about equal to last week,” Pyle said. “Then we got to beam and the first person falls and it’s just like dominos. I expected the best performance of the year, and it was a huge letdown.”

There were some highlights, Pyle said, including the surprise appearance of top freshman Sissy Huey, who competed on the balance beam just three weeks after tearing a ligament in her left elbow.

Junior Sarah Stayberg tied her career-high score on the floor exercise with a score of 9.825 just one week after setting the mark.

Junior Kelly Cherwein set a season-high by scoring 9.625 on the vault.

Another highlight was the performance of junior Kelli More, who took first place on the balance beam with a score of 9.90 and placed third on the uneven bars with a score of 9.80.

In spite of her personal success, More said she was still not pleased with the outcome of the meet.

“Sometimes it’s not all there. I think we lost it mentally, and we need to re-focus,” More said.

More, who also suffered a fall during her floor routine, said that the squad must work on focusing itself in order to regroup from the defeat.

“You need to have focus to have a good routine,” More said. “It’s not so much the physical aspect anymore, just the mental aspect.”

The Cyclones return to action Thursday for a home meet against intrastate rival Iowa.

Nevertheless, Pyle said she is still searching for answers to her team’s performance against the Sooners.

“I don’t know what to say. [Uneven] bars were not good, beams was awful and on the floor, I don’t know what happened,” Pyle said. “I guess it’s back to the chalkboard.”