Hy-Vee managers focus on community

Brad Burnett

Monte Streit and Tom Gard began their careers as Hy-Vee grocery sackers at the age of 16. Through hard work, schooling and dedication to the company, both slowly moved into management positions and ended up in the Ames Hy-Vee stores.

Streit, manager at 640 Lincoln Way, got his start at Hy-Vee in Cedar Rapids in the early ’80s. He came to Ames from Waterloo, where he also was store manager.

Streit became manager of the new Ames store when it opened its doors last summer. He said moving to Ames was more than just a business opportunity.

“We moved to Ames because of the community and because of the education advantages for our children,” Streit said.

Gard, manager at 3800 W. Lincoln Way, began his work with Hy-Vee in his hometown of Maryville, Mo. He has been with the company for 20 years and was store manager in Spencer before coming to Ames.

Throughout that time, Gard said he has seen it all at Hy-Vee.

“I’ve seen everything — happy moments like childbirth, and sad moments like death,” he said.

Gard said Ames has been very welcoming to him, and he has been impressed with the store and its employees.

Both Streit and Gard would like Hy-Vee to be continually active in the community and the schools.

“My goal is to be involved in the community and be a huge support in helping it grow and prosper,” Streit said. “I say this both as a businessman and as a personal resident.”

Streit said he plans on having monthly programs and promotions that involve happenings in Ames and Iowa State. He said high school and college students make up 60 percent of his workforce, so the store can keep informed on what is going on in and around town.

Gard said he wants to focus on working with the grade schools in town. He said he would like to implement a program called “Character Counts.” He used the program in Spencer and said he received positive feedback from both parents and teachers.

“What this program does is rewards the kids for doing good things, not in academics, but by doing good things like respect, responsibility and caring,” Gard said.

Under this program, Gard said a teacher who sees a student doing a good deed can fill out a card and send it to Hy-Vee. Then the store brings in all the students who were nominated each week and announces their names on the intercom system. The students receive a free movie rental and a place for their picture on a wall of fame in the store.

Gard said he feels this program is a good way for the store to use its resources and get into the community in ways other than making donations.

Both Gard and Streit said they enjoy their jobs and like the Ames community.

Gard said he likes to mix things up every day to keep the job interesting and fun.

“Don’t be surprised if someday you see me dressed in a clown suit handing out flowers,” he said. “It’s a fun job.”