‘God Socks’ issued citation

April Goodwin

The folding table with piles of “God Socks” T-shirts was removed from the area outside of the Hub after Ev Cherrington, otherwise known as the “God Socks Guy,” was issued a citation Monday.

Department of Public Safety Officer Deb Larkin informed Cherrington he was soliciting his T-shirts unlawfully because he failed to obtain the license required by state law to sell products on campus.

“It’s a black or white issue,” she said. “You need to have a license to sell.”

Cherrington said he will plead not guilty to the charge.

Cherrington, who is a resident of Ames, said the paperwork for his license is “lying on somebody’s desk,” and he intends to continue selling the T-shirts as soon as he obtains it.

“It’s just a matter of formality,” he said.

He said he could have the license as early as today.

Larkin said a student complaint tipped off DPS.

Larkin said the law is in place to protect students from “transient merchants” who might come onto campus to sell “bogus” items.

“We enforce the law for the protection of the students — not that I’m thinking he’s dangerous or that he’ll be a problem for the students,” she said.

Larkin said she notified Cherrington that he was soliciting illegally and then turned her attention to someone else for a moment. When she looked back, he was trying to sell another T-shirt to someone.

“I don’t think he meant it maliciously. I just don’t think he understood,” she said.

Larkin said Cherrington was “very pleasant and cooperative,” although when she told him he had to come to the DPS station with her, he responded that he “had to be somewhere by five.”

Cherrington complied willingly, however, and in the station he was given an opportunity to make a phone call and asked to fill out reports.

After completing the requested data, Larkin took Cherrington back to his car.

Cherrington said the sales of his T-shirts benefit the sister church of Stonebrook Community Church, 615 Kellogg Ave. The sister church is located in hurricane-ravaged Honduras.

If found guilty under the applicable Section 9c.2 of the Iowa Code., Cherrington could face a maximum penalty of $100 for a simple misdemeanor.

Cherrington will plead his case Feb. 23 at Ames City Hall.