In front of Mexico

Jennifer Schreuder

According to Sarah Leonard’s column, “It’s about sex stupid”: ” … our educational system continues to rank just above Mexico in the list of industrialized countries.”

Heaven forbid that the United States be rated scholastically just in front of Mexico!! I would say that Americans should be proud to be in such a position.

Perhaps Sarah Leonard should have researched the Mexican school system just a little better before saying something so derogatory for the single purpose of saying something derogatory.

Perhaps she should have known what she was talking about before inserting a little comment that had no connection to the rest of her column about perjury and sex.

Mexican children start their schooling when they are four years old and attend kindergarten for two years. When they begin their six years of elementary school, they will already be reading and doing simple math.

In elementary school, the students will begin English classes, as well as long division and multiplication, in the second grade.

My nephew is in the American equivalent to 7th grade in Mexico. He is taking biology, chemistry, physics, English, and algebra as well as other various subjects. Once again, these are high school classes to an American, not junior high.

In high schools, students will take six semesters of math, one to five semesters of chemistry and biology, four of physics, in addition to classes of Mexican government and history, and world history and government.

Students are also required to take classes in their respective career direction classes such as parasitology, electrical mechanics, business and accounting, Pascal computer language, hotel and restaurant management, etc.

As an American citizen educated in both the American and the Mexican school systems, I would congratulate the United States for being ranked just in front of Mexico.

Obviously, neither system is perfect, but we should investigate our opinions a little bit before insulting others and embarrassing ourselves.

Jennifer Schreuder

Junior

Animal science