We need allies

Jonathan Francis Cass

I would like to respond to the front page article in last Thursday’s Daily concerning the University’s support of LGBT issues.

As one of the “800” out members of the queer community that Angie Chipman referred to, I feel compelled to dispute some of Angie’s statements.

As I was reading the article I felt uncomfortable with the image presented about the LGBT community.

I am not a victim.

I feel a real danger in presenting the community as such. Playing the victim can only lead to further victimization.

Telling people that the world treats us unfairly is what keeps people in the closet. It’s what reinforces the untrue stereotype that LGBT people can’t live happy lives.

I do not feel that I “am not getting my say.” I’ve been here on campus for almost two years and in those two years I’ve received less harassment for being gay than I received in two weeks in high school.

On the few occasions that there have been problems for me here on campus, I’ve felt that there was always a sympathetic ear to listen to me and try to correct any wrong.

Sure, I think the administration should be doing more than they are currently doing, but please, let’s not ignore the steps they are taking.

As a member of a small, acting group devoted to educating the public on issues of diversity, I’ve seen the administration make an effort.

This group, called the Diversity Players, has been invited to perform LGBT specific scenes at numerous university training sessions including various faculty/staff training seminars, and RA training.

To say “the university doesn’t care” and that education is not happening is misleading and ignores the allies that we have that are defending us everyday.

Angie, we have come a long way, and you’re right, we’ve still got a long way to go. It’s still legal to fire LGBT people from their jobs in 40 states. We still can’t get married. We still can’t serve openly in the military.

But while we’re fighting for these rights, let’s encourage people to help fight with us, not against us.

The only way we will have equality is through the help of our straight allies.

Let’s not ignore the accomplishments they helped us achieve and scream at them for not doing more. Let’s thank them for assisting us and encourage them continue to do so in the future.

Jonathan Francis Cass

Sophomore

Liberal arts and science