It’s a hard knock life

Wendell D. Mosby

This is in reply to Annie Johnson’s letter on Feb. 17. Well, I am a black man on a predominantly white campus.

I agree to disagree with you, Ms. Johnson, on the grounds that there are many students who pay fees that get nothing in return either.

I had opposed the proposed bus route until I had all my unanswered questions answered, but I don’t agree with you on the plea “it’s our money too.”

This brings up some other issues that need to be addressed on this campus.

For example, you didn’t hear the campus up in a roar when STV9 yanked the international channel off the air.

You know why? Because it didn’t have any impact on you nor the majority of this campus.

International students pay fees and don’t get to enjoy more than half of the activities on this campus. You don’t hear me bitching about why Veishea doesn’t ever have activities that appeal to minority students.

You don’t hear any of us moaning about why can’t there be a rap group playing during “Homecoming” or at the Hilton. We just make do.

Our fee monies also contribute to those causes. That’s why the retention of minority and international students is in the red. The university proclaims that it’s ALL ABOUT DIVERSITY, but we all know the truth.

The greater good for the greater number. So Annie, how does it feel to walk in our shoes? “It’s a hard knock life.” Get over it.

I’m just as involved as any of you damn greeks are, and I ain’t got nothing to show for it but “A More Diverse Way of Thinking.”

How about them apples, Ms. Sorority Girl.

That’s why more minority and international students are not involved now because of the selfishness and closed-mindedness of folks like yourself, Annie Johnson.

What side of the fence were you on about the Catt Hall issue?

Oh, you probably didn’t care because it had no direct impact on you, Annie. And, how about the Multi-Cultural Center?!

There are lots of students on this campus who deserve to see their fee money actually help them, too. It’s not your fault nor mine but the fault of every student on this campus.

Annie, you don’t know how well you have it nor the people you are trying to speak for. We are not alike, but you greeks sometimes do dress alike.

Even if I wanted to dress like another black on this campus, we don’t have the convenience to go to North Grand to purchase the brands of clothing we like and FUBU doesn’t count.

If we want to party, we can’t come party with you because we probably would not like the music, so we have to make do.

We just couldn’t come and party with you because you would probably wet your pants if you saw five black guys on your doorstep. “We are not alike.”

We are very different from you. I do not care if you like me or not.

I just demand that you think about the “real unrepresented people on this campus” before you speak again.

I welcome all challengers.

Wendell D. Mosby

Junior

Apparel production