Don’t stop believin’, hold on to that feelin’

Matthew Cobb

My name is Matthew Cobb, and I recently moved to Ames with my family.

I am the new Episcopal Chaplain to Iowa State University.

My affiliation with ISU is primarily through the Campus Ministers Association.

Since I arrived in Ames at the beginning of the spring ’99 semester, I have been reading the Daily religiously.

I pay close attention to the opinion columns and editorials.

Lately, the dialogue about the Bible and its authority in our daily lives has been great.

Obviously, from a campus minister’s perspective, this kind of dialogue is good for the economy of faith and potentially good for the entire ISU community.

As of today’s edition of The Daily (Feb. 3), no one has come up with any real answers to the questions about what role the Bible should play in our secular lives together.

However, there are several passionate voices being heard through the pages of the Daily.

Frankly, I do not know if any real answers are forthcoming.

Because the issue that everyone is wrestling with has been going on for thousands of years.

Namely, what do we as humans do with the Bible?

Several individuals have sounded their opinions in the Daily, and I applaud them for their courage to be so open and to share their opinions on the subject for all to see.

Every opinion that I have read over the past three weeks has one common trait: They are all revealing a piece of the author’s belief system.

Some are secular humanists and agnostics. Others aspire to belief systems that exist in a particular religion.

Wherever we fit in this continuum of belief systems tells others how we choose to live our daily lives together.

And since I am offering my opinion for all to see, I am also revealing the belief system I live in.

However, there is a difference between sharing your opinion and describing your perspective.

How I perceive the current dialogue on the topic of the authority of the Bible is greatly influenced by my belief system.

When I try to describe my perception I am describing what I perceive to be the truth, which is influenced by my belief system.

My belief system, at best, can only hold a piece of the truth.

So for someone to sound his or her opinion as the whole truth may suggest that the person holding the whole truth has the answers to all of life’s most difficult questions.

Whether the person holding the whole truth knows it or not, they are a danger to themselves and those coming in contact with them.

The danger is increased exponentially when this soul hides behind the authority of the Bible.

My hope is to see this dialogue move to a place where we are able to have some humility and agree that the truth is out there, but we may only have a piece of the truth.

If you are Christian, hold the Bible; Jewish, hold the Torah; Muslim, hold the Quran; Agnostic, hold rational and logical thought; Secular humanist, hold the golden rule; Atheist, hold the scientific method.

Whomever you aspire to be, I encourage you to hold fast to that belief system.

To facilitate this dialogue further along, I propose that anyone interested in this topic come and join me and a few others at St. John’s by the Campus Episcopal Church and Student Center across from Lake Laverne on Feb. 14 at 5:30 p.m.

Bring an inquisitive mind and a humble heart.

Matthew Cobb

Chaplain

Campus Ministers Association