Students commute together

Bengi Tozeren

Though the Des Moines Commuter Club has existed since the late 1940s, members have had a tough time making their services known.

Because they are a nonprofit organization, funds aren’t available to advertise.

“It is a constant problem for us trying to get the word out that we exist,” said Therese Judge, club treasurer. “We have put announcements up around campus, and sometimes, we put fliers on cars with Polk County plates in the parking lots on campus.”

Judge, temporary instructor of foreign language, said an appointed dispatcher develops a schedule so that the least number of cars travel between Des Moines and Ames.

“Our club is more like a car pool, except that we have a constitution and are pretty organized,” she said.

Matt Besser, president of the club, said there are currently 12 to 15 members; however, sometimes membership depends on gasoline prices.

“When gas prices go up, the number of the people in the club goes up,” he said. “In the past, the club has had hundreds of members during a semester, especially when gasoline prices went up in the 1970s.”

Besser said all members of the club share driving responsibilities. Everyone drives at least once per week, and the driver pays for gas, he said.

“We always have at least one car leaving Des Moines at 7 every morning, and typically, vehicles leave at 8 and 9 [a.m.],” Judge said. “It just depends on the club members’ needs.”

Vehicles usually leave Ames for Des Moines between 4 and 5 p.m., but departure times fluctuate.

“That is one of the best things about this club compared to some other commuter groups,” Judge said. “We have different [leaving] times depending on the needs of the members.”

Judge recounted the benefits of joining the club.

“It costs much less to join the club, drive once or twice per week and buy a parking permit than it costs to drive yourself every day,” she said.