Club to auction cakes for scholarship money

Bengi Tozeren

To raise money for scholarships, Iowa State’s Block and Bridle Club will be auctioning off cakes tonight in Kildee Hall’s Lush Auditorium.

The event, titled “Have Your Cake and Eat It, Too,” will feature an array of donated cakes to be auctioned off to the highest bidder.

Cody Griffin, junior in animal science, is coordinating the show and auction.

Griffin said last year’s auction was successful and brought in more than $1,420 for scholarships for incoming freshmen. Twenty-five donated cakes were sold.

“The cake auction was a new event [last year that] focused on raising scholarship funds for fall semesters,” he said.

Prior to auctioning the cakes, Dennis Marple, head of the animal science department, will judge the cakes and will select a “grand champion prize winner,” he said.

Though no cakes were left over from last year’s cake auction, some of the scholarship money remained.

“There are also two $500 scholarships available from last year’s auction to the incoming freshmen next fall,” Marple said.

Griffin said he expects to see a marked increase in the amount of cakes on display this year.

“This year, we are hoping to have about 30 to 35 cakes,” he said.

Besides campus organizations, Ames area businesses will be contributing cakes to the auction.

Last year, the cakes went for between $50 and $150, he said.

“This is an open event to every college student, staff, faculty member and any campus organization, both to bring a cake and to enjoy eating the ones they bid for,” Griffin said.

Melanie Hjelm, secretary of the Block and Bridle Club and sophomore in agricultural education, said the Block and Bridle Club is one of the largest clubs in the agriculture department.

“We provide an environment for kids to get acquainted with the campus, provide mentorship with the older members of the department and the club and also to get involved on campus activities,” Hjelm said.

The Cake Show and Auction will begin today at 4:30 p.m.