YWCA to explore Henna tradition

Stacy Wagner

The Iowa State YWCA will host a Henna party this Saturday exploring the Middle Eastern tradition that has been growing in popularity throughout the United States.

The party will be held at the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center from 2 to 4 p.m.

The Middle Eastern tradition of Henna is a process in which dye is extracted from a plant and stenciled onto the body in intricate designs.

The YWCA is hosting the Henna party to “promote women from all cultures and backgrounds,” said Judy Dolphin, executive director of the YWCA.

She said the party also is an opportunity to raise money for the YWCA, a nonprofit organization funded by donations from other organizations and individuals.

“The organization is very happy to have the funding that the [Government of the Student Body] and United Way of Story County provide,” she said.

However, Dolphin said the YWCA has to generate a good portion of its money through fund-raising efforts.

The Henna party was inspired by Jehan Faisal, senior in English and student programs coordinator at the YWCA.

Faisal is from Saudi Arabia and has practiced the art of Henna for many years. With the help of other YWCA staff members, Faisal organized the Henna party.

Faisal said Henna is used for decorative purposes in the Middle East.

“It is kind of the equivalent of nail polish here,” she said.

Dolphin said the work done to put the Henna party together has been “very student-driven.”

“It is their initiative and energy that has pulled this event together,” she said.

The YWCA participates in many campus activities and is an organization formed to promote women’s growth, leadership and power, Dolphin said. She said the YWCA also is committed to the elimination of racism.

The party will have local artists available to do the Henna. There will also be traditional Middle Eastern food, readings and dancing provided.

Tickets for the Henna party currently are on sale and can be purchased at the YWCA office in Room 15 of Alumni Hall or by calling 294-1663. Tickets also will be sold on Thursday at the Memorial Union near the Food Court.