Bye-bye ‘Wake-Up ISU,’ ISU-9 gets ‘InCyde Out’

Michael O'Neill

Iowa State’s student-run cable TV station is all about change.

Besides changing its name from STV-9 to ISU-9 this semester, the station dropped its early morning news and entertainment program “Wake-Up ISU” and replaced it with a more Ames-centered show called “InCyde Out.” “InCyde Out,” which premiered on Jan. 19, has taken a different shape than its predecessor. The new show contains more campus-related and community news than the previous format.

Dan Mundt, faculty adviser for the new show, said he wants “InCyde Out” to be known as the primary source for local information.

“We want [the new show] to be more valuable to the ISU and Ames communities, which is why we try to find guests from the local area,” Mundt said.

Jaimi Gillen, co-producer, said the show will take on a more narrow scope.

“‘Wake-Up ISU’ focused on news which covered a wide variety of topics across the world,” said Gillen, junior in journalism and mass communication. “We are trying to keep ‘InCyde Out’ focused mainly on subjects that affect ISU students and faculty and the Ames community.”

Besides news, the show provides weather, sports and entertainment coverage. The show’s hosts interview guests, also. Past guests have included members of the ISU Yo-Yo Club and an expert to talk about rape crisis, said co-producer Audrey Williams, junior in journalism and mass communication.

In the spirit of newness, producers decided to shuck the morning time slot for an early evening one. The show is broadcast on weekdays except for Friday.

Mundt said routinely finding enough staff members to fill the various studio positions was cumbersome.

“We had a really hard time staffing ‘Wake-Up ISU,'” he said. “Sometimes, we would only have four crew members working on the show at a time.”

Gillen agreed with Mundt that the show will probably garner more viewership in its new space.

“We decided to move the program to the evening because we thought it would attract a bigger audience and more crew members,” Gillen said.

The show’s creators seem to have made the right move because locating crew members wasn’t a problem this time around with the help of the journalism school.

“The crew and producers come out of my Journalism 306 and 354 classes,” Mundt said. “The rest of the show is made-up of volunteers with all different majors.”

To fulfill class requirements, students in both journalism classes must work on the show, Williams said.

“A good thing about the show is that we don’t have to worry if we’ll have crew members because the students in both journalism classes are required to work on the show,” Williams said.

Nearly 25 different cast, crew and production members work on the show nightly.

“[We] have certain people work on the show the same day every week,” Mundt said.