Jesus videos confuse hall directors

April Goodwin

Christians from three campus organizations received mixed reactions when they handed out videotapes about the life of Jesus to students in the residence halls last week.

Gary Schmalz, Iowa State campus director for Campus Crusade for Christ, said 150 students were involved with distribution of the videos last Thursday evening.

Problems arose when some resident assistants, hall directors and Campus Security officers questioned the legality of the crusade through the residence halls. However, Schmalz said because the groups were only handing out the materials, not selling them, the disbursement did not constitute solicitation, which is prohibited in the residence halls.

It is not illegal for a campus organization to distribute items free of charge with prior consent from university officials, said Sally Deters, coordinator of residence life.

Randy Alexander, director of residence, gave the groups permission to distribute the video but neglected to inform RAs and hall directors of his decision, Schmalz said.

A group of Chi Alpha Campus Fellowship members that was distributing tapes was stopped in Buchanan Hall by hall directors.

Greg Kinzle, director of Chi Alpha, said his group was asked to leave, so he called Schmalz. Schmalz phoned Deters, who verified to the hall directors that the group was allowed to continue distribution in the building.

Schmalz said a team handing out videos in Wallace also experienced a 20-minute delay.

“Sally Deters and Campus Security were very cordial with us on the phone, and the last thing we wanted to do was upset university officials,” he said.

Schmalz said students were not forced to accept a video.

“We asked if they’d like a video, and we didn’t give them a video if they said ‘no,'” Schmalz said. “We didn’t force this on anyone. They had to say ‘yes’ to get a video.”

Some of the groups met opposition from residents.

“In Buchanan Hall and Friley, residents were yelling at some of the students, saying, ‘This is illegal, you need to stop,'” Schmalz said.

He said the Christian students were “verbally accosted, but no one was physically stopped.”

Jordan Ellis, member of the Navigators, an ISU Christian group, distributed 37 videotapes throughout Lyon Hall, and he said “only a handful” of students did not accept the free tape.

“Some people were pretty neutral,” said Ellis, freshman in agricultural studies. “Some were very cold, but polite, and some really open.”

Ken Augustine, director for the Ames Area Jesus Video Project, 4,000 videos are being distributed to ISU, and on March 27, 11,000 will be distributed throughout Ames.

Augustine said 2,100 of the 4,000 campus videos were distributed in the residence halls.

This week, about 30 members of Fellowship of Christian Athletes will be visiting greek houses to distribute videos.