Iowa State builds an early lead in win over Fresno State

Freshman Ian Parker taking down a Hawkeye opponent during the CyHawk wrestling dual meet Feb. 18, 2018, at Hilton Coliseum. 

Trevor Holbrook

Iowa State returned to Hilton Coliseum and protected its home arena. The Cyclones knocked off Fresno State 31-6 on Sunday.

Most of the action occurred prior to intermission. Here’s three highlights that helped build Iowa State a lead early on in the dual.

Parker returns

In Iowa State’s dual win over North Dakota State on Wednesday, the Cyclones inserted redshirt freshman 141-pounder Ryan Leisure into the lineup. 

The regular starter — redshirt sophomore Ian Parker — sat out due to a concussion suffered at the Southern Scuffle.

On Sunday, Parker returned. The dual with Fresno State started at 141, and Parker faced sophomore Chris Deloza.

Parker racked up five takedowns and scored a total of six near fall points, while tacking on two escape points and a riding time point in a 19-5 win.

Last season, Parker injured his knee late in the season. If Iowa State wants to keep stacking dual wins, Parker is a key piece to the lineup, as he proved Sunday.

Degen’s ranked win

After Parker’s match, Cyclone fans viewed a ranked matchup between No. 11 Jarrett Degen and No. 16 Khristian Olivas.

Degen showed his aggression throughout the match, tallying three takedowns and a two-point near fall. Degen also added a pair of escapes and a riding time point.

Olivas put five points on the board in the 11-5 loss with a takedown, reversal and escape.

Degen showcased his long frame in the ranked match, securing some non-typical takedowns aided by his length. The length also assisted his defense, avoiding takedowns.

Degen is ranked at No. 11 in most rankings (No. 8 by Track Wrestling), but he could jump into the top 10 in all rankings after the ranked win.

Schumacher’s debut

The excitement continued before intermission in the 165-pound match after Chase Straw’s 5-4 loss at 157-pounds. Entering the 165-pound match, Iowa State led 7-3, but with a true freshman, the Cyclones’ momentum could have been lost.

Instead, Logan Schumacher added to the win column in his second career dual. Schumacher debuted in his first dual at North Dakota State in an 11-0 loss to Andrew Fogarty.

On Sunday, Schumacher trailed early, but the Martensdale St. Mary’s graduate created a spark in the second period.

Schumacher delivered a takedown, followed by him nearly pinning his opponent. Schumacher was awarded four points for a near fall, but Brandon Martino squirmed out before a potential pin.

In the third period, Schumacher held his own and left with an 11-7 win.

With Skyler St. John out for the year and Brady Jennings injured, Schumacher is an important piece to the lineup for the meantime.

If the freshman can add a few more wins in Jennings’ absence, he could be a long-term option, too.