United Way breaks record

Hannah Zahs

With the help of Iowa State students, faculty and staff, United Way of Story County was able to raise a record-breaking $781,101 in 1998.

The total was up 6.6 percent from 1997’s record of $732,654, said Rich Lampkin, executive director for United Way of Story County.

“Various clubs at ISU have been involved before, but this is the first time that students have gotten involved,” Lampkin said.

He said the “Miss-A-Meal” day, in which students living in residence halls were encouraged to skip a meal in food service and donate the unused money to United Way, was a huge success. Campuswide pop can collections also were very successful, he said, and together these efforts generated more than $4,300 for the program.

Lampkin said the Design Cafe in the College of Design and SCAVMA (Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medicine Association) also contributed.

“The Design Cafe collected tips and then donated them to us,” Lampkin said.

Lisa Bomberger, veterinary medicine student services specialist, said SCAVMA participated in United Way fund raising for the third year in a row.

“SCAVMA sold hot dogs, caramel apples and cider out at the vet school around Halloween,” she said. “All of the food was donated by local stores, so what we made was entirely profit.”

Bomberger said about 12 students as well as faculty and some administrators participated in the sales event, which raised more than $400 for United Way. She said ISU President Martin Jischke was a server at the event, as were some colleges’ deans.

“It’s highly probable we’ll do it again,” Bomberger said. “The SCAVMA students feel very strongly about service projects; this is one that doesn’t take a lot of their time and is something they can do.”

Lampkin said the money raised for United Way is “spread across human service projects,” ranging from pre-natal care to seniors’ programs, hospices and substance abuse programs.

“The money stays in Story County unless the donor specifies otherwise,” he said.

He said the rest of the 1998 funds came from in-office campaigns, including corporate gifts and employee donations, as well as individual gifts.