There’s something about post-adolescent comedy

Kevin Hosbond

SUB Films will be kicking off their spring semester film series this week by showcasing the major blockbuster “There’s Something About Mary.”

The film brought about a nascent quality of comedic silver screen antics that gave comedy films a new and well-deserved boost in the movie industry.

This post-adolescent “joke-umentary” brought together an array of fine talents, including the lustful chemistry of both Cameron Diaz and Ben Stiller, along with other favorites such as Matt Dillon and Chris Elliot for an amazingly hilarious, sometimes painful, comedy.

SUB Films, usually known for its more aesthetically pleasing movies that range from foreign films to classics and art-house movies, decided to change the menu to appeal to a wider audience.

“We wanted to kick off the semester with something that’s a little bit nuttier and crazy, to draw some people so they also recognize what other films we’re showing throughout the semester,” said Eric Yarwood, Program Advisor for the Iowa State Memorial Union.

“We try to show films that are not much of the mainstream films people will see. We want to expose them to something different that they wouldn’t be able to see in theaters around Ames,” Yarwood added.

Iowa State students who know about the showing this weekend seem excited about it.

“I’d go see it because there’s nothing else to do in Ames, and I don’t know of any parties yet,” said Abram Hardinge, an undecided freshman.

“It was kind of an absurd humor. I liked the scene where he (Stiller) molested himself in the bathroom, and he’s looking all over freaking out. That’s not even the funny part. When she (Diaz) asks him, ‘What’s that, gel?’ and she puts the sperm gel in her hair, that was great,” Hardinge said. “It’s probably the best movie I’ve seen by those two.”

By “those two,” Hardinge was referring to the Farrely brothers, Peter and Bob, who were also the creative and comical mastermind producers behind “Dumb and Dumber” and “Kingpin.”

Adam Peterson, sophomore in agricultural systems technologies, said he would consider going to see the movie again because of the hilarity.

“They showed that old ladies’ tits and that was gross, but funny,” Peterson said.

People looking to rent the movie won’t have such luck until Feb. 2, according to Kristy Macki, a manager at Video Update. She said the demand to rent has been huge and hopes to have at least 50 copies available to rent when the time comes.

Because SUB Films works directly with the movie companies, they have the means to show movies before they come out on video.

Until then, students can see it for either the first or hundredth time for only $2 in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union. Show times are on Thursday and Sunday at 8 p.m., and Friday and Saturday at both 7:30 and 9:55 p.m.