Associate provost steps down

Jason Young

Edwin Lewis, associate provost, retired from Iowa State last month, ending a 41-year legacy at the university.

As associate provost, Lewis oversaw the Honors Program, Committee on Lectures, Margaret Sloss Women’s Center, the International Resource Center and the Instructional Technology Center.

Lewis spent over 30 years working with the Honors Program and its students.

“[The Honors Program] has provided special opportunities to very bright students over the years in terms of academic programming and leadership experience,” Lewis said.

Liz Beck, Honors Program coordinator, has worked closely with Lewis. Together they supervised Freshman Honors Program leaders and met with them weekly.

Beck regarded Lewis as a student advocate. In addition to his role with the Honors Program, Lewis also was an academic adviser to psychology students.

“He never allowed students to stay in catch-22 binds,” she said.

Lewis came to Iowa State College in 1957 and divided his time as a psychology professor and a counselor for the student counseling service.

From 1966 to 1972, Lewis chaired the University Honors Committee and taught an Honors course in psychology.

In 1972, Lewis became assistant vice president for academic affairs. His title changed to associate provost in 1988.

Faye Whitaker, assistant provost, shared an office with Lewis. Whitaker said Lewis’ absence will be felt in many ways.

“He brought a depth of knowledge from his long experience of working [at ISU] and had a high regard for students,” she said.

Whitaker said Lewis “really encouraged people he worked with to think through things.”

The university will not be appointing a new associate provost. Whitaker will be taking over some of Lewis’ responsibilities starting this spring.

“I’m going to have to do some of his work, and there’s a lot of it,” she said.

Lewis has been a champion of minority rights and women’s interests and was instrumental in fostering the University Committee on Women and the Sloss Women’s Center.

Lewis said he does not have specific post-retirement plans besides “just taking it easy.”