Rec packed with resolutions

Eric Taylor

It is always evident when a new semester is upon us by either the scene of freshman wandering the campus aimlessly in the fall or by the tremendous over-crowding of the Lied Recreation Center.

With this being the spring semester, the “rec,” as it is more commonly known, is packed with students trying to fulfill New Year’s resolutions. Many people are playing basketball, racquetball or using exercise equipment to shed the extra pounds they gained over the winter break.

Students also are often concerned with how they look in anticipation of spring break, or possibly for a wedding that is coming up.

After talking to some of the people I see regularly in the weight room, it became evident that they were slightly ticked off at the massive herds occupying equipment normally readily available to themselves.

Granted, it is frustrating not to be able to use a certain machine when you want to, or in some cases, even find an open parking space. However, it is reassuring that many of these newcomers at the rec will be gone within a couple of weeks or so, and everything will be back to normal.

The reasons most students give for not sticking with their initial plans vary, but most of them come down to either frustration or just plain laziness.

A lot of the female students I have talked to become discouraged quickly because they are not seeing instant results. They measure success with a scale, and if those little numbers aren’t getting smaller, they automatically assume their exercise regime is not working and give up.

However, that is a huge misconception because in order to burn fat, it must be replaced by muscle. Since muscle weighs more than fat, it is often difficult to have an immediate drop in weight. But the area being replaced with muscle is subsequently more toned — and trust me, ladies, it is noticeable.

Another reason people don’t follow through with their resolutions: They feel inferior to others in an aerobics class or in the weight room. But you have to remember that not everyone is training for the Olympics, and the only way to become more physically fit is to stay with your particular program for an extended amount of time.

Sometimes I feel out of place lifting weights because I only weigh a buck 45, but you have to remember that people come in all different sizes. Not all people desire to be so massive they can’t even straighten their arms, or so thin they disappear when viewed from the side.

There are probably twice as many reasons why you should participate in some type of exercise regularly as there are to give up and quit.

The response most people give is to stay in shape or to just look good. Both of these reasons are excellent for boosting self-esteem or, unfortunately, egos.

Regular exercise is also a great way to relieve stress. When school work is getting the best of you — especially after an exam — it is an incredible relief to vent some of that frustration via an intense workout.

At first, regular physical activity can seem cumbersome and inconvenient, but after a while it can become a fun routine and slightly addicting. Now that “The Simpsons” are no longer on at 10 o’clock, a late-night workout is the perfect solution to helping me fall asleep at a decent hour.

A gym or exercise facility is also a great social setting and makes it easy to meet new people and make friends. Have you ever noticed how it is impossible for people to use exercise bikes or stairmasters without having their heads on a swivel?

People are constantly scanning everyone who walks by, also known as “checking them out,” in hopes of either spotting a friend or finding someone they would potentially want to meet. The vast plethora of funky exercise equipment also doubles as a great conversation piece.

So whether it is full-court basketball or a casual stroll around the track with a friend, regular exercise combined with an adequate diet can be beneficial to both the body and the mind.

I’ll see ya there.

Eric Taylor is a junior in mechanical engineering from Elysian, Minn.