Browsing Library offers quiet alternative

Andy Tofilon

Editor’s Note: The objective of Campus Findings is to highlight points of interest on the Iowa State campus. If there is a spot on campus of particular interest to you, e-mail [email protected] with the idea, and the Daily will consider featuring it.

Often overlooked by students seeking a quiet location to study, the Browsing Library, nestled in the basement of the Memorial Union, offers more than just peace and quiet.

Beth Wilcke, student supervisor of the Browsing Library, said some students see the library as an alternative to studying in the high-traffic Memorial Union Food Court.

“It is a change of pace compared to the Commons where it is generally loud, and there are people walking by and talking,” she said. “It is clean and comfortable with soft chairs and an overall comfortable atmosphere.”

The Browsing Library was designed by W.T. Proudfoot, who formulated plans for the MU in the 1920s and designed the Gold Star Hall, a memorial to U.S. soldiers who died in combat.

“The First Fifty Years: Iowa State Memorial Union,” a book written by Harold Pride, details Proudfoot’s plans for the Browsing Library and Chapel.

“The Little Chapel and adjacent Browsing Library had a special place in Mr. Proudfoot’s concept of the Memorial Union,” the book states. “It was no accident that they occupy the space beneath the Gold Star Hall and its vestibule; their design received the best efforts of his creative ability.”

Though construction of the MU was completed in 1928, funds were not available to open the library and Chapel until almost 20 years later. It took numerous gifts and donations for the library to open in March 1956.

Wilcke said the feasibility of restoring the Browsing Library came into question a few years ago when the Government of the Student Body was discussing expanding student office space in the lower level of the MU.

“In the mid-1990s the Browsing Library and Chapel were restored, but there was a debate on whether to keep them or not,” she said. “GSB debated it, and some wanted to tear them out and create more student office space, but that never happened. “

Besides offering a cozy environment to study in, the library offers a variety of periodicals and other diversions.

“There are endless things to do in there. You can read a magazine or newspaper, read a book or do a puzzle,” Wilcke said. “We give people the opportunity to look at good books in a great atmosphere.”

The Chapel, which is connected to the Browsing Library, contains two pews, and an organ is available for students, faculty and staff to use.

“The Chapel is there for anybody that wants to use it, and people can reserve it for occasions. My supervisor got married in there,” Wilcke said. “Not too many people take advantage of it.”

The library and chapel are open every weekday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.