Engineering expo opens doors

Brianne Hilpipre

For Iowa State students planning for a career in the field of engineering, the College of Engineering is hosting its annual Spring Engineering Job Expo today from 1 p.m. until 7 p.m.

The expo, which is in its fourth year, is being held at Hilton Coliseum and is free and open to the public.

The expo is set up in a trade show format, so students can choose what companies they would like to interview with. There will be 131 companies represented at the expo.

Representatives from all engineering disciplines, including aerospace, computer, manufacturing, construction and government agencies, will be there. Some companies that are scheduled to appear include Boeing, Gateway, Intel and the Department of Transportation.

“Jobs promoted are technical jobs,” said Laurie Karns, director of Engineering Career Services. “Students do not have to be engineering students to attend, but technical, computer science, [management information systems] and physics majors are suggested.”

Loni Pringnitz, assistant director of Engineering Career Services, said the event will be beneficial for students with an interest in job hunting.

“[The expo] raises the level of awareness of different types of careers available in technical jobs,” she said.

Everyone, including freshmen, can benefit from this opportunity, Karns added.

Brochures and other marketing literature will be available, and summer internships are available for freshmen, sophomores and juniors. Seniors may be able to find full-time jobs, Karns said.

Those students who are interested in working for any of the companies represented are encouraged to bring their r‚sum‚s and have a good idea of what kind of work they would like to pursue, she said.

Pringnitz said she anticipates a good turnout for the expo.

“Last year, we had about 2,800 attend, so this year we will hopefully see 3,000,” she said.