Hagge changes with the times in English

Jamie Lange

Editor’s note: An Iowa State faculty or staff member will be featured on a weekly basis. If there is a professor or staff member who is extraordinary in your opinion, send an e-mail request to [email protected].

English professor Linda Hagge’s background is extensive. From her English advising coordinator position to the array of classes she instructs within the English department, Hagge has been a dedicated addition to Iowa State’s faculty.

After earning her graduate degree in English from the University of Minnesota in 1983, Hagge worked at a community college in Champaign, Ill., until she came to ISU in 1985.

Since then, she has been a mainstay in the English department teaching grammar, literature, composition and this semester the popular Myths, Fairytales and Legends (English 358) course.

Following a leave of absence by associate professor Michael Mendelson, who usually instructs the course, the department requested that Hagge teach the course this semester.

“The department didn’t want to not offer the course simply because Professor Mendelson was on leave. Mendelson developed the course. He attracted a great many students,” she said.

Hagge is building the course on the foundation set by Mendelson.

To keep students interested in the class, Hagge encourages small group activities and discussions. She’s fond of change, too.

“I can’t think of any other profession where it’s constantly different. Every semester there are new faces, new challenges and new ways to get students to absorb the material,” she said.

One of Hagge’s students, Scott Auxier, senior in English, said part of Hagge’s success is based on her ability to change the pace of the lecture and find new ways to stoke student interaction.

“She changes venues several times in class. She uses group activities as well as centralized class activities. Occasionally, she tells us interesting anecdotes relevant to our course of study,” Auxier said.

To Hagge, an impetus behind teaching English 358 is the challenge it presents to students to explore the human mind and psyche.

“Students enjoy the course for various reasons. It draws interests such as fantasy, religious myths, lovers of say, King Arthur stories, and those who are interested in the human mind,” she said. “Reading stories like this helps students understand the way people work. It’s very elementary literature that can be translated throughout all cultures.”

Hagge’s passion for teaching and change are some of the factors that will keep her at ISU for many years to come.

“I’m sure that in 10 years, I’ll still be here enjoying advising students and teaching. Never have I said that I’d enjoy job ‘X’ rather than what I am doing now,” she said. “I have worked various jobs such as at banks. I have been in the business world, and I don’t enjoy it. If you enjoy interacting with students, teaching is the best job. There isn’t any other profession where it’s constantly changing.”

Hagge lives in Ames with her husband John, an English professor at ISU, and her two daughters, Elspeth, 15, and Sarah, 20, senior in history at ISU.