Carver challenge sets students’ goals

Megan Williams

Years after his death, George Washington Carver’s accomplishments and achievements are still giving students the inspiration to set their sights a little higher.

The George Washington Carver Commitment to Academic Excellence and Service, brought to the Carver planning committee by Herman Blake, challenges students to set higher goals for themselves.

Blake, director of the African American studies program, said he has promoted many events honoring G.W. Carver.

“[The events are] celebrating a legacy of excellence” in honor of George Washington Carver, Blake said. “The goal of [the commitment] is to bring students’ academic levels to higher levels.”

Information about the Carver Commitment was distributed to classes, residence halls and other organizations, Blake said.

He said students were asked to sign a pledge committing themselves to academic excellence and service, with George Washington Carver as a role model.

“[The students pledge to] increase time in studies, increase their GPA and commit themselves to spending time in community service,” Blake said.

GSB President Bryan Burkhardt, also chairman of the planning committee, said he sees the Carver Commitment as a great opportunity for students to set goals both in and out of the classroom.

He described the commitment as more of a pledge or promise than a challenge.

“We are challenging the students, but they are pledging themselves to do better,” Burkhardt said.

Burkhardt believes commitment to academics and success will make students push themselves harder to excel. He said the commitment will help them recognize when they need to work harder and set higher goals.

“[By] using George Washington Carver’s achievements and experiences as inspiration, each of us can refine our abilities to achieve our goals and become our best,” Burkhardt said.

“Our biggest task now is making sure students follow through with it,” Burkhardt said. He said he hopes students will not only pledge to commit themselves to academic growth and service this year, but in the years to follow.