Police may patrol Des Moines schools

Nathan Treloar

The Des Moines Public School Board is considering a proposal that would send Des Moines Police officers into its high schools in an attempt to curb in-school crime and increase student awareness of laws and police issues. If passed, Des Moines Police officers would hit the schools’ halls starting this January.

The Ames Community School District took action on this issue four years ago when it installed live-in patrolling officers in schools.

The Ames school district continues to work with The Ames Police Department on a program to change students’ attitudes toward law enforcement officials.

Ames Police Officer Bob Selby is the director and sole member of the School Resource Officer Program. The program places Selby in the Ames School System full time.

The cost of the program is divided equally between the police department and the school district, Selby said.

“My work takes me to all eight elementary schools, a middle and a high school,” Selby said.

Selby, or “Officer Bob,” as he is known by students, isn’t a typical police officer. He prefers not to wear a uniform, and he doesn’t patrol.

“Wearing a uniform is useful when dealing with the K-6 kids,” Selby said, “but students in middle and high school tend to shy away from the uniform.”

Selby has a variety of duties as the only member of the School Resource Officer Program.

“I really consider my duties here to be threefold,” Selby said. “These aspects are classroom, personal contact and law enforcement.”

Selby said he does in-class presentations at the request of teachers, which include topics from street crossing and bike safety for elementary students to drug and alcohol programs for middle and high school students.

The job also requires a lot of personal interaction with students, he said. Selby hopes this will show students that police officers are people they should not be afraid of.

“We’re really starting to see the benefits now more than ever,” Selby said. “Students are beginning to talk to me about matters of personal concern.”

Selby, a 21-year veteran of law enforcement, has been working in the Ames School System since the program began.

“I absolutely love it,” Selby said. “It’s the best job I’ve ever had.”